Joseph's Coat Main Points to
1) Bragging can be hurtful to others
2) We must control jealousy, not let it control us
jealousy: disliking someone
because of what they have Prayer:
Father, we thank you for protecting us through the difficult times
like Joseph went through.
Lesson: Genesis 37:3-36
Lesson Texts: Jerri Fusch's
lesson text: Joseph's Brother Sell Him
Activity: Make a robe from a striped cloth or shirt and have
the students take turns being Joseph. Discuss how expensive and
different a striped coat would have been in those times, and how
clothes were made by hand to last for many years.
Discussion: What things make you jealous today? What might
your friend show off at school that would make you envious? A brand
name pair of shoes? A portable electronic game? Why do some kids use
things to establish their importance? Because the world teaches them
that possessions determine your worth. What really makes us
important? God says that we are his children if we love Him and love
one another. Our “status” is reflected by how we treat others.
Should we really be jealous of someone who only feels important
because of what they own? No - we should emphasize that we value
them for who they are, not what they own.
Activity: Review Jacob's family tree. Have the students use
generic paper people (like
Bible Friends) to
illustrate the lesson. Name them and post them on a board, using
yarn or dots to connect the family lines. A great source for OT
family tree information is:
Map of Joseph's Journey to Egypt
in 800x600 and 1024x768, FREE from eBibleTeacher.com
1. Joseph dreamed that he would rule over his brothers. T
2. Joseph’s brothers were jealous of him. T
3. Jacob treated all his sons the same. F
4. All of Joseph’s brothers wanted to kill him. F
5. Joseph was sold as a slave. T
WorkGenesis 37:3 "Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other
sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a
richly ornamented robe for him."Psalm 121:7-8 "The Lord will keep
you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch
over your coming and going both now and forevermore."
Review Activities from Jerri
Answer the following questions about today’s story:
1. Why do you think Jacob sent his son Joseph to check up on his
2. What did Joseph’s brothers plan to do when they saw him coming?
3. How did Reuben plan to save Joseph?
4. What did the brothers see coming that made them change their
5. How much money did the brothers get for selling Joseph?
6. What did the brothers do with Joseph’s coat?
7. What did the brothers tell their father Jacob?
UNSCRAMBLE THE FOLLOWING WORDS FROM OUR STORY.
Read Genesis 35:23-26 in your Bible. How many sons did Jacob have? The
first initial of each of their names is shown below. Finish their names.
1. R __________
2. S __________
3. L __________
4. J __________
5. I __________
6. Z _________
7. J _________
8. B _________
9. D _________
10. N _________
11. G _________
12. A _________
(can be used with
1. What is a slave? (A person who is owned by another person)
2. Unscramble this word: Yejasoul
3. Name Jacob’s sons.
1. Act out the dream of the sheaves.
2. Sing the
Sons of Jacob song.
3. Draw a coat of many colors
1. How do you think Joseph felt to be honored in his dream? (He was
surprised and felt important - he wanted his brothers to share in
2. How do you think Joseph’s brothers felt when he was bragging
about his dream? (Even more jealous than they already were)
3. How did Jacob feel when his sons told him Joseph was dead? (He
was devastated with sorrow)application
1. Should we brag, even about things that are true? (No - we can
be honest without bragging)
2. Is it OK to pick on the teacher’s pet? (No - we can’t “punish”
the student for the teacher’s actions)
3. Does anyone like friends who constantly talk about themselves?
1. How many brothers conspired against Joseph? (10 - Benjamin was
not yet born)
2. What gift did Jacob give only to Joseph? (a coat of many colors)
3. What did the brothers do instead of kill Joseph? (Sold him as a
1. How did the brothers convince Jacob that Joseph was dead? (They
tore his coat and dipped it in blood)
2. Why did the brothers hate Joseph so much? (Jacob showed him extra
favor, and he bragged about being more important than they)
3. Why did Jacob love Joseph so much? (He was the only son [at that
time] of his favorite wife)