Available from Christian Book
The Life of Joseph: Windows to the Past Wooden Bible Story
Joseph's CoatMain Points to Remember
1) Bragging can be hurtful to others
2) We must control jealousy, not let it control us
jealousy: disliking someone because of what they havePrayer: Father, we thank you for protecting us through the difficult times like Joseph went through.
Lesson: Genesis 37:3-36
Lesson Texts: Jerri Fusch's lesson text: Joseph's Brother Sell Him
Activity: Make a robe from a striped cloth or shirt and have the students take turns being Joseph. Discuss how expensive and different a striped coat would have been in those times, and how clothes were made by hand to last for many years.
Discussion: What things make you jealous today? What might
your friend show off at school that would make you envious? A brand
name pair of shoes? A portable electronic game? Why do some kids use
things to establish their importance? Because the world teaches them
that possessions determine your worth. What really makes us
important? God says that we are his children if we love Him and love
one another. Our “status” is reflected by how we treat others.
Should we really be jealous of someone who only feels important
because of what they own? No - we should emphasize that we value
them for who they are, not what they own.
1. Joseph dreamed that he would rule over his brothers. T
2. Joseph’s brothers were jealous of him. T
3. Jacob treated all his sons the same. F
4. All of Joseph’s brothers wanted to kill him. F
5. Joseph was sold as a slave. T
Memory WorkGenesis 37:3 "Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him."Psalm 121:7-8 "The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."
Review Activities from Jerri Fusch
Answer the following questions about today’s story:
1. Why do you think Jacob sent his son Joseph to check up on his brothers?
2. What did Joseph’s brothers plan to do when they saw him coming?
3. How did Reuben plan to save Joseph?
4. What did the brothers see coming that made them change their plans?
5. How much money did the brothers get for selling Joseph?
6. What did the brothers do with Joseph’s coat?
7. What did the brothers tell their father Jacob?
Review Questions (can be used with Joseph gameboard)
1. What is a slave? (A person who is owned by another person)
2. Unscramble this word: Yejasoul
3. Name Jacob’s sons.
1. Act out the dream of the sheaves.
2. Sing the Sons of Jacob song.
3. Draw a coat of many colors emotion questions
1. How do you think Joseph felt to be honored in his dream? (He was surprised and felt important - he wanted his brothers to share in his excitement)
2. How do you think Joseph’s brothers felt when he was bragging about his dream? (Even more jealous than they already were)
3. How did Jacob feel when his sons told him Joseph was dead? (He was devastated with sorrow)application questions
1. Should we brag, even about things that are true? (No - we can be honest without bragging)
2. Is it OK to pick on the teacher’s pet? (No - we can’t “punish” the student for the teacher’s actions)
3. Does anyone like friends who constantly talk about themselves? (No)
1. How many brothers conspired against Joseph? (10 - Benjamin was not yet born)
2. What gift did Jacob give only to Joseph? (a coat of many colors)
3. What did the brothers do instead of kill Joseph? (Sold him as a slave)
1. How did the brothers convince Jacob that Joseph was dead? (They tore his coat and dipped it in blood)
2. Why did the brothers hate Joseph so much? (Jacob showed him extra favor, and he bragged about being more important than they)
3. Why did Jacob love Joseph so much? (He was the only son [at that time] of his favorite wife)
are randomly generated. If you see an inappropriate ad, please
with the url so I can block the ad.